Full English translations by ohmygeona Please credit when taking out of the blog Q. What are your thoughts after finishing the d...

[TRANS] 'Prison' Lee Kyu-hyung "Shin Won-ho PD, Cast Me After Seeing My Drunk Acting… Touched" Part 1

14:38 OMG 0 Comments

Full English translations by ohmygeona
Please credit when taking out of the blog

Q. What are your thoughts after finishing the drama?


"I'm thankful for receiving so much love. Including the audition, it's been 11 months. It's a shame to let it go. Although there are people who were shocked with my character's ending, I think it was a fitting ending and I am satisfied with the director's decision. I think that we must not glamorize criminals. I was aware that Haerongie will take drugs again as soon as he gets released. At first, I was really surprised. I thought, 'Did he just do drugs again?'. Although Haerongie was portrayed cutely, I think that his acts of taking drugs should not be glamorized. In reality, they say that a first offender becomes a second offender and later on becomes a habitual offender.  I see it as an appropriate ending."


Q. How did you join [the cast]?


"In the fall and winter of last year (2016), I performed in the play 'Come See Me' and musical 'Fan Letter'. I must have good luck because Director Shin Won-ho watched them one after the other. In 'Come See Me', I was a suspect and there was a scene of me completely drunk and causing a ruckus at the police station. I think they saw Haerongie in that image of me. I got a call for an audition while filming 'Forest of Secrets'. We met twice and I joined after that. It was in March."


Q. How did it feel?


"It was amazing. I thought it was someone else's story. A famous director went to watch a play and cast an actor from it. I didn't think it was my story. 'Director Shin Won-ho knew about me?' I was grateful and amazed."


Q. Haerongie was a difficult character [to act]. You must have had a lot of things to prepare.


'During the first audition, I was asked to show them my acting from 'Come See Me'. I did it lightly. I was told to do more. I did and they told me to keep going until the end. I gave it my all. (smiles) At that time, they asked me to do it cutely. I thought what did it mean for a drug addict to be cute. I did it [cutely] and the production team liked it. I didn't hear from them for three weeks and I heard stories about the audition from people around me. I did a second audition and about five minutes after that, they said 'Let's do this together'. I was deeply moved I almost cried. (smiles)"


Q. Why do you think you got cast?


"They said that I have a signature tone that comes out when I act drunk. Something like 'Hngg?'. (smiles) I was told that when Director Shin Won-ho and Writer Lee Woo-jung watched that scene, they burst out laughing by themselves. They might have thought I fit the role Haerongie well in that area."


Q. How did you create the way of talking that's overflowing with cuteness?


"I didn't have a model for it. I associated it with a cat. I used to raise a cat before so I knew how it was. While actors learned how to act, I imitated animals a lot. I expressed some of Haerongie's parts like an angry cat. It was like that during scenes where I growled."


Q. Did you know that Haerongie will receive this much love?


"I didn't expect it. Honestly, I thought a unique character would come out. He's a drug user and is gay. He becomes normal when he takes drugs and when he doesn't, he acts silly and crazy. That's unique. However, I didn't think I would receive this much love."


Q. How was Director Shin Won-ho's way of directing? What was his specialty?


"He doesn't only think one way and is not oppressive. It was astonishing. Jung Woong-in sunbae has done a lot of projects but even he said that he was surprised with Director Shin Won-ho. It wasn't just a mask. He's honestly a good person. Whether it's an actor, staff, or a minor role, he doesn't say bad things to them and lets them to act comfortably."


Q. Haerongie's scenes causes a lot of laughter. Any scenes that come to mind?


"The scene with Munrae-dong KAIST where we were fighting using pepper and liquid pain reliever was fun. I remember when I called him 'roasted mackerel' and I got knee kicked. Fighting childishly with Captain Yoo was also fun. Another memorable one was the kiss scene with Ji-won. (smiles)"


Q. How is your personality in real life? Do you also have a cute side like Haerongie?


"Not really. I think the reason why Haerongie became cute like that is because I like the hyungs. It's rather harder for me to be with the younger cast. Choi Moo-sung Sunbae, Ho-san Hyung, Hae-soo Hyung... They are seniors whom I've always known so I was able to be comfortable with them. My personality is... a bit reserved? There are times when people get frustrated with me. (smiles) Even so, I become a fun person when I'm with my friends."


Q. What's your ordinary day like?


"I stay at home and I like watching movies on my days off. (On relationships) I don't have a girlfriend. I hope to find someone soon. It's not easy.”


Q. You've been acting for a long time. Do you feel like it was all in vain after shooting into stardom with one project?


"No. I thought that the power of dramas is great. Even meeting with lots of reporters like this for an interview is something that I couldn't even think of before. A lot of things have changed since two months ago. I was surprised."


It will be continued in part 2 of the interview.

Source: here

0 comments: